Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Education is a Privilege

Someone alerted me to the fact that tumblr is a better blog host than blogger, so I am considering switching. But I'm already used to blogger, so I probably won't.

Today I went to breakfast with Kira, where I found out that I could've stayed at my job longer because it's been a month and they still haven't implemented liquor into the menu.. Oh well, it's been a nice vacation. Although I'm starting to notice my lack of money.

After breakfast, I went to 4 straight odd periods, and odd days are my most concentrated. I have LA, during which we don't really learn but we still do things, then Calculus BC, during which we learn a lot, then advanced physics, during which we learn (super boring, but still important), then journalism, during which I read. After school, Ashley and I did a lot of math. She's coming over tomorrow to do more before we go to school.

I also went to BYBA today, and we were super productive. We had a lot of ideas and I'm excited to actually accomplish things, rather than just.. hang out. Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but it's nice knowing we have purpose.

I am so done with school. I like the subject matter, but I find myself getting more and more obsessed with the stupidity of my classmates. Maybe we would actually learn something if 3/4 of the class would shut up once in a while. Today, during the entry activity in LA, I couldn't concentrate because so many kids were having conversations. There's no way they all wrote thoughtful paragraphs during those 7 minutes. It just pissed me off - it's such a privilege to go to school, we are so fortunate for all we have, and so many of us are just little dicks and those people don't appreciate anything and they don't realize how FUCKING lucky they are to be getting an education. And the hardest part for me to accept is that it's not that they aren't smart and able to learn, it's that they don't want to. They don't see the merit. And that is what is going to make this nation a failure in the coming decades. If we don't get our educational system reformed and stress how important it is, shit is going to hit the fan, oh my brothers.

2 comments:

  1. don't switch from blogger! i like you on blogger a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed. Blogger is good. I agree about education being a privilege and all, but a lot of the time its the teachers fault that kids aren't learning or trying to learn. A bunch of the teachers that I have hardly even try to teach the material - they just go along with what the course syllabus says to do without putting any effort into it. Bogus. When you get actual good teachers like Mr. Guthrie, the chemistry teachers, and the ones that actually care about giving the kids an education, you're right, it sucks when the kids don't realize that they actually have something to gain from learning the material.

    ReplyDelete